How to Wax Your Legs Using a Home Waxing Kit
After paying out for professional waxing over and over again at a salon you may be starting to think about whether it's a good idea to wax your legs yourself at home. And in fact legs are one of the easiest parts of the body to wax yourself so if you would like to have a go at home waxing then they are a good place to begin.
- Before you begin to wax your legs make sure that your leg hair is about quarter of an inch in length to help the wax to grip.
- Once you have selected and bought your home waxing kit make sure you read the instructions very carefully as they all differ a little. It is very important to heat the wax to the right temperature for example and your kit will tell you how to test this.
- Decide where you are going to carry out your waxing session and protect the area with old towels or sheets. It's amazing where that wax can end up and it's not the easiest stuff to get out of carpets so be warned.
- Take a warm bath or shower if you find that your skin reacts better afterwards. If you have not waxed your legs before, and are unsure, it's a good idea to try this as it usually helps the pores open up.
- Dry yourself carefully and prepare the wax according to the instructions in your kit. Test to ensure that the wax will not burn you.
Also do a patch test for skin sensitivity if appropriate.
- Once you are ready to wax, spread a thin layer over your skin in a strip about one inch wide and two inches long. You apply the wax with a spatula in the direction of hair growth. Almost immediately press a cotton strip (usually supplied with your kit) to the wax smoothing down the strip in the direction of hair growth.
- After a few seconds, take the end of the strip and tug against the direction of hair growth pulling as close to the skin as possible and not upwards and away from it. Gently smooth the leg where hair was removed to soothe the skin.
- Continue to apply and remove wax until the majority of the hair is removed. You can remove stray leg hairs which escaped the wax with tweezers.
- Remove any sticky patches which remain on your skin as suggested on the kit instructions. (Sugar wax is easier to remove than normal wax as it washes off with water).
- Soothe your legs by smoothing on a cool non-alcohol based lotion.
- You may find that your legs come up in red bumps after waxing but these normally disappear in a few hours. You may find it best to wax your legs at night to enjoy completely smooth legs the next day.
- Once skin has settled down, keep it smooth and free from ingrown hairs by regularly exfoliating in the bath or shower with a loofa or body buffer sponge.
Regrowth will generally appear within a few weeks but you will need to wait until the hair is long enough before waxing again.
Additional Articles on Leg Hair Removal
How to Shave Your Legs
Take care when you start to shave your legs and follow these tips to get the best results
How to Make Your own Home Sugar Waxing Kit
You can easily make a sugar waxing kit to wax your legs at home. Discover everything you need here.
Is Laser Hair Removal the Ultimate Permanent Solution for Unwanted Leg Hair?
If you read the ads, laser hair removal sounds like the best solution to getting rid of excess hair for once and for all, but is it really?
10 Minutes A Week: Smooth Hair-Free Legs All Year Round
The simple secret to removing hair from your legs